These biscuits are on my short list of things that every baker should know how to bake! It is an easy recipe with just 4 steps to baking the best biscuit. They make a prefect baking treat and ideal for kids to make.
The dough can be cut out with a variety of cookie cutters to create any shape biscuits you like, no matter what season you’re baking for these biscuits will be a hit. Give them a go and let me know how you get on!
How to make the perfect biscuit with these 4 easy tips:
- Use plain flour. If you use self-raising flour the raising agent will cause the biscuits to puff up and lose shape.
- Chill your dough! Once you’ve cut out your chosen biscuit shapes place on a baking tray and pop into the fridge for at least half an hour, this will help your biscuits to keep shape.
- Get yourself Sugarpaste Spacers, this simple tool will make sure you evenly roll out your biscuit dough each and every time.
- Roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper.
TOP TIP: I find if I roll the dough on a floured counter, the flour on the counter gets absorbed into the dough and the biscuits can become dry due to the extra flour.
Decorating the biscuits:
These biscuits can be decorated with a variety of icings or toppings. This can be a great one to give kids full autonomy on decorating their biscuits with their preferred toppings. Or if you are baking for a party, you can adapt them to any party. Here are some of my favourite ways to decorate:
- Drizzle with chocolate and sprinkle with freeze dried fruit.
- Colour Royal icing with whatever colour you need and top with sprinkles
- Create a homemade jammy dodger by sandwiching two biscuits with a layer of jam between them or try something different like Nutella or caramel sauce.
Delicious! For all your baking and biscuit making needs, check out our online shop, we deliver for free all over Ireland with DPD.
Recipe for Jam Hearts:
200g Unsalted Butter
200g Caster Sugar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
400g Plain Flour
1. Beat the butter & caster sugar together till just combined.
2. Add in the egg & vanilla extract, mix.
3. Add in the plain flour & mix till it forms a dough.
4. Wrap in clingfilm & chill in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
5. Roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper and cut out with the heart cookie cutter, with a mini heart cutter cut out the centre of half of the biscuits.
6. Place on a lined baking tray & chill in the fridge for at least an hour before baking. This will stop the cookies from spreading when baking.
7. Bake at 170C Fan for 14-16 minutes depending on size.
8. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
9. Once cooled spoon a teaspoon of raspberry or strawberry jam on the full heart cookie and top with the heart cut out biscuits.
10. Dust with icing sugar & Enjoy